• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Full of the joys of spring, until the postman arrives.

Started by Archie, March 15, 2014, 11:56:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie

When I got up this morning the sun was shining, the birds were singing. Then the postman arrives with the Council Tax demand from West Berkshire Council.

Judging by recent articles in the local paper, West Berkshire Council appear to be totally incompetent with everything that they are doing.

Elizabeth

Maybe they sent the demand to the wrong man. They are letting you go free this year. ;D

Number 6

Personally the Council Tax bill seems rather modest compared to the wealth denying forbearance that is the British Gas bill. I now live in dread of the quarterly thud on the door mat of this particular instrument of extortion. Sadly price comparison sites prove that their is little to be gained by shopping around as the whole market seems to be rigged in the form of a pricing merry go round.  Even as an energy market shareholder I believe it really is time the competition authorities sort this cartel-ised  market out.
Be seeing you ;-)

Old Goat

Where is the cartel?  There are a few small suppliers, I use one.  Prices aren't massively different, but then they aren't between Supermarkets, and at the moment there are just four big ones in that market.  At least for fuel, you can go elsewhere.  I have to say, for what actually gets delivered the Council Tax, particularly the town council precept is an extortion; shame there is no competition there.