• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Price differentials - It pays to shop around

Started by Archie, June 09, 2014, 10:44:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie

It has been brought home to me recently how prices vary dramatically for the same product.

My favourite shaving foam was on special offer in Boots for £3.76 That's a good offer I thought, only to discover later in the day that the same product was on sale in Tescos for £2.00

Yesterday I purchased 6 packets of flower seeds @ £2.65 each from my favourite garden centre only to discover this time on a visit to Homebase that they were selling exactly the same seeds for £2.05 The price was stamped on the packets by the seed distributor and so they are obviously helping the small business to make extra profit (which I understand), but I was upset to discover that I could have saved myself £3.60

I could have saved myself £5.60 if I had gone to the shops in a different order.

James_Trinder

This is not only the case for the same product being sold at different retailers but also for the same product being sold at different branches of the same retailer.  A good example of this are the new WHSmith kiosks at Reading Station where bags of sweets retail for double the price in the main town centre branch.

BrianB

Quote from: James_Trinder on June 09, 2014, 02:57:08 pm
This is not only the case for the same product being sold at different retailers but also for the same product being sold at different branches of the same retailer.  A good example of this are the new WHSmith kiosks at Reading Station where bags of sweets retail for double the price in the main town centre branch.

That's why I never buy anything at a motorway service station.

Uncle

Ahhh! The age old pastime of bargain hunting.....still worth looking around!

Old Goat

It's called competition, of course you have to shop around; we live in a capitalist society.  There is an alternative,  all the prices are the same,mother you don't have to shop around; that's called communism.