• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

End of year crime figures for West Berkshire 2013 - 2014

Started by Administrator, May 01, 2014, 11:17:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Administrator

End of year crime figures for West Berkshire 2013 - 2014

The end of year crime figures for West Berkshire show that overall crime figures are at their lowest in 15 years. This year there have been further 22 fewer victims of crime in comparison to last year, continuing the downward trend in crime in West Berkshire.

Supt Robin Rickard, said: "I am really pleased that West Berkshire has seen a further reduction in crime this year and at the same time we have increased the number of crimes that have been detected by 6 per cent - this is all good news for the communities of West Berkshire.

"I am particularly pleased to announce that there has been a significant reduction in the number of burglary dwelling crimes this year - 131 fewer victims of burglary in the last 12 months compared to the year before - this is the lowest level of recorded burglaries since 1999. We have also detected more burglaries during the last year - nearly 4 per cent more- there is no doubt that bringing the offenders to justice has a positive impact on the overall burglary numbers: it is simple, bringing the people who commit burglaries to justice often means a prison sentence for the offenders, therefore preventing them from committing crime and giving the right agencies the opportunity to work with offenders to deter them from committing crime in the future"

"Another significant reduction, this year has been in robbery offences, which have reduced by 39 per cent across West Berkshire. This means there were 19 fewer offences in comparison to last year, whilst our detection rate, which is when an offender is either charged or cautioned, has risen by 10.5 per cent."

"There are areas of crime where we have seen increases, such as violent crime. There were 96 more crimes of violence reported when compared to the year before and 68 crimes of violence where the victim was injured. About half of these crimes involved domestic abuse and whilst it is good that victims of domestic abuse are coming forward and reporting crime, the Safer Communities Partnership (the cross agency partnership that includes the police and West Berkshire Council), is determined to reduce the number of victims who are repeatedly the victims of domestic abuse"

"Possession of drugs offences have increased by 39 per cent  this year, that equates to 146 offences, and the detection rate is above 90 per cent. Targeting those who deal in drugs is a police tactic that we will continue to use. This week sees the conclusion of a successful three week operation targeting drug dealers in Newbury. The link between drug misuse and crime is clear and therefore we will continue to target those who supply and deal in illegal drugs".

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank the public for all their support in helping us reduce overall crime in West Berkshire. I would also like to publicly thank the police officers, Community Support Officers,  police staff and volunteers who all work very hard to keep West Berkshire safe.
I have no doubt that it will be very challenging to maintain the reduction in crime however, together with West Berkshire Council and our other partners, we will continue to work as hard as we can to keep West Berkshire the safe place that it is. The priority is to stop crime being committed, but when it is committed we will do all we can to identify the offenders and bring them to justice."

Anthony Stansfeld, Police and Crime Commissioner for Thames Valley said: "I made rural crime and household burglary priorities in my five year plan for policing. I am pleased to see that in West Berkshire the police have had considerable success in both areas, and that overall crime is at the lowest it has been for many years.

"My major concern is that internet fraud is on the increase and everyone should be aware of the very real risk this poses."

Nick Carter, Chief Executive for West Berkshire Council, said: "West Berkshire Council has a strong commitment to partnership working and achieving the common goal of ensuring that West Berkshire remains a safe place to live and work. I am pleased to see that crime figures continue to fall across the district and the council, as part of the Safer Communities Partnership will stay focused on prevention and education to ensure that this downward trend continues."