• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Newbury - Nobody parks in West Mills anymore because of the new charges.

Started by Administrator, September 16, 2014, 01:36:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Administrator

Newbury - Nobody parks in West Mills anymore because of the new charges.

This was the scene at 09.28 this morning (Tuesday 16th September) in what always used to be a very popular parking area.

Incidentally this part of the proposed site for Newbury Christmas Market 2014.

Stormin

Its amazing how the council seem determined to pick the most popular parking sites and then put charges on them.

I'm sure they think this will bring them more income, but in reality all it does is discourage people from coming into town.

I walk through west mills almost every day, and it used to have people queuing to get one of these "sought after" parking spots, now it is all but empty most times I walk past.

only me

Quote from: Stormin on September 16, 2014, 04:41:36 pm
Its amazing how the council seem determined to pick the most popular parking sites and then put charges on them.

I take it you would rather they chose sites where NOBODY parked and then put charges on them?

;)

only me

It's 30 minutes FREE though isn't it?  If people are needing to be in town for longer than that, what's the problem with them using the car parks and keeping this area available for people wanting to 'pop in' to the shops or bank - especially when the centre is car-free during the day.

Don

Of course nobody parks there anymore, they (the council) are trying to push people out of Newbury and to other towns or Retail Parks. I know many people who shop where there is parking friendly areas. I hardly shop in Newbury anymore, unless it is Sainsbury's.

Old Goat

It always amazes me that people expect to be able to park just where they like, yet if someone parks outside their house they kick off about that!  There isn't anything wrong with having to use a car park, so long as it's easy to use and economic.  The Council don't exactly help. Look at the Wharf area, essentially four separate parking areas with separate exits and entrances and differing pay mechanisms.  The whole area looks like a reclaimed bomb site - hardly an advert for the town! 

I also can't see why the retail park shop keepers aren't charged business rates for their 'free car park' essentially it is actually a business, and the 'product' free parking for a couple of hours is simply the same as any other product the business chooses to sell or give away.  See what would happen to then to the Free Rate!!  And we complain about Starbucks or Google 'bending' tax rules!