• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Newbury - UKIP choose their candidate for the 2015 General Election

Started by Administrator, November 30, 2014, 07:47:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Administrator

Newbury - UKIP choose their candidate for the 2015 General Election.

Catherine Anderson
The UKIP Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Newbury

UKIP have chosen Catherine Anderson, a 29 year old marketing executive who lives in Burghfield as their PPC (Prospective Parliamentary Candidate) to fight the General Election here in Newbury. Previously she was a Conservative supporter and was deputy chair of her university's Tory youth movement.

Catherine left the Tories this year for UKIP. She says that she felt drawn by the party's "common sense" policies. She works in marketing, speaks German and Hindi and has Romanian friends. Apparently her boyfriend is a Labour supporter who is a Doctor Who fan.

The Newbury seat has been held by Tory Richard Benyon since 2005. Prior to this it was held for 12 years by Liberal Democrat David Rendel.

Old Goat

Well, she doesn't look like the standard media perception of a UKIP candidate!  Does this also mean we'll have UKIP candidates for the local elections as well?  Hope so, it will make an interesting election for once!

Don

By what I read above she seems to have what it takes to represent Newbury.

Tommy Atkins

I hope so.

Love to see Britains richest MP gone after that patronising incident advising people about food waste...

Up the Kippers :)

Don

We need a change in politics and I think UKIP offer that. They might not win, but might have an important say.

Old Goat

Yes, I'd agree with that.  I'd also like to see UKIP make big show in the local elections.  Both Town and District Councils are looking very tired to say the least.

Don

Джереми

She lives in Chelsea, has she ever lived in Newbury?

Admin Note:
Apparently our information was incorrect, she actually lives in Burghfield according to the official UKIP website

Don

Quote from: Джереми on December 16, 2014, 05:57:19 pm
She lives in Chelsea, has she ever lived in Newbury?

Admin Note:
Apparently our information was incorrect, she actually lives in Burghfield according to the official UKIP website

Does it make a difference? Most people who stand are flown in to represent such and such a seat. I have no doubt that if she wins she will live here, if she doesn't already.

Джереми

Quote from: Don on December 16, 2014, 05:59:57 pm
Does it make a difference?

It would make a nice change to have a local actually represent us.

Most people who stand are flown in to represent such and such a seat.

So? Does the status quo justify itself by its own existence?

Don

Quote from: Джереми on December 16, 2014, 06:05:01 pm
Does it make a difference?

It would make a nice change to have a local actually represent us.

Most people who stand are flown in to represent such and such a seat.

So? Does the status quo justify itself by its own existence?

That is if there is anybody good enough.

Old Goat

That's an interesting one! I suspect the choice of candidate is really down to what the factions in the local party think.  As UKIP is pretty new, it's not likely to have had much of an opportunity to grow it's own local talent and I can see why it would have opened the net wide.  I have to say, the LibDems haven't got that excuse, particularly as a couple of their local members are 'playing away' - one being the previous MP!  That suggests some serious local faction fighting.

Administrator

This is taken directly from the UKIP website

"Catherine Anderson lives in Burghfield and aims locally to re-energise Newbury town by supporting local businesses, free parking and improving local bus services. She recognises the need to develop housing on brownfield sites and use empty homes rather than over developing on the beautiful countryside. 

She currently works in London as a project manager in the charity sector. Formerly she has experience in the commercial world as a Business to Business Marketing Executive on behalf of major blue-chip IT companies. Earlier, she gained a degree from King's College London in Languages and Philosophy and lived for two years in Vienna working for the City Board of Education on a language project.  She is also a Trustee of a charity that helps blind orphan children in India and raising funds to build a new school to help give them a future and live with dignity.

Catherine believes in EFTA, that we should do business with Europe but not be governed by the EU. She also supports the restoration of grammar schools and keeping the NHS free."

Old Goat

Well just down the road then!  Certainly no further away than Mr B.  One thing though, she is young and clearly academically intelligent, giving lie to the perception that UKIP is really just a group of reactionary old men down the pub.