• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:00:08 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Christmas Decorations in Newbury.

Started by Don, December 09, 2014, 05:31:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Don

I have been to many towns with brilliant Christmas decorations. Even Hungerford's decorations are good, but ours are total crap. Why? You would think that with all the money Newbury council are screwing out of the motorist (for parking) they could put up some half decent decorations. I presume they are not doing this as they need the money to give themselves a higher pay rise.

Old Goat

It's nice to see them but they do seem distinctly modest.  I'm not quite sure why we can't simply keep the same ones year on year and simply add to the collection. 

Don

Quote from: Old Goat on December 09, 2014, 06:43:46 pm
It's nice to see them but they do seem distinctly modest.  I'm not quite sure why we can't simply keep the same ones year on year and simply add to the collection.

I wouldn't even call them modest, just very little or crap.

Old Goat

Perhaps it's just the modern fashion; minimalist!  Some of the decorations are decidedly weird, Parkway being a good example.

Don

Quote from: Old Goat on December 15, 2014, 07:28:25 pm
Perhaps it's just the modern fashion; minimalist!  Some of the decorations are decidedly weird, Parkway being a good example.

Hungerford have good decorations. I think Newbury is just cheap.

Old Goat

For a small community, Hungerford does seem to get its act together pretty well.  Do they have a more proactive town council would you know? 

Don

Quote from: Old Goat on December 16, 2014, 08:54:38 pm
For a small community, Hungerford does seem to get its act together pretty well.  Do they have a more proactive town council would you know?

I would say yes. As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. However, ours are proactive in taking as much money from their citizens (or even non citizens) so that they can give themselves huge wages. We, as citizens, get as little as possible so that things can tick over nicely. In other words, enough not to anger us so we won't ask awkward questions.

blackdog

Quote from: Don on December 09, 2014, 05:31:22 pm
I have been to many towns with brilliant Christmas decorations. Even Hungerford's decorations are good, but ours are total crap. Why? You would think that with all the money Newbury council are screwing out of the motorist (for parking) they could put up some half decent decorations. I presume they are not doing this as they need the money to give themselves a higher pay rise.

Newbury Town Council get no income from parking, nor are they responsible for the Christmas lights any more (though I believe they put up some of the cash).

The lights are now supplied by the local traders through the Newbury BID.

Don

Quote from: blackdog on January 29, 2015, 10:37:25 am
Quote from: Don on December 09, 2014, 05:31:22 pm

Newbury Town Council get no income from parking, nor are they responsible for the Christmas lights any more (though I believe they put up some of the cash).

The lights are now supplied by the local traders through the Newbury BID.

Then how do you explain better Christmas lights in other areas, such as Hungerford? And who are you saying gets the income from Newbury Town Council? West Berkshire?