• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Greenham Control Tower - An update from Julian Swift-Hook

Started by Administrator, December 11, 2013, 01:03:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Administrator

Greenham Control Tower - An update from Julian Swift-Hook

"It has been a long time since I've had any news for you about the Greenham Control Tower. There has been a huge amount of hard work by a lot of people going on in the background, but because of the secrecy involved in the tendering process I've not been able to tell you about it.

But after all that waiting, I'm really pleased to be able to tell you that West Berkshire Council, owners and custodians of the building since 1997, has finally agreed not to sell it into private hands - the Council is recommending it be sold to Greenham Parish Council, who, with the support of Greenham Common Trust, will refurbish the building and turn it into the community building that I have dreamed about for years. There are still a few hurdles to be overcome, but we are on the final approach now, and a smooth landing is in sight.

Thank you to everyone who has worked on the campaign - in particular Tony Ferguson, whose project management expertise has been invaluable. Parish Chairman Tony Forward and Parish Clerk John Boston have both worked extremely hard, too, and I want to thank them as well.

The support of Stuart Tagg and Greenham Common Trust has been key, too, and I am very grateful for the Trust's involvement and continuing support - we couldn't do it without them.

Special thanks to the members of Greenham Parish Council who saw the potential when I explained it to them and have had the vision to take on the project for Greenham, West Berkshire and the world. And to the residents of Greenham who signed my petition to urge the District Council not to sell the building into private hands.

Thank you all.

All being well I hope that you will be able to start to enjoy the new community facilities at the Control Tower as early as next summer!

Now the hard work REALLY starts!"

blackdog

Old Goat

Just hope the good burgers of Greenham have deep pockets!  Let alone the first cost, these things generally cost a huge amount to run.  Still, I'm sure the Parish would have done its sums.