• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:18 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

National Decline; signs and symptoms

Started by Old Goat, May 31, 2017, 09:14:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Goat

We are investing huge, huge amounts in our railway system. To modernise it and make it fit for purpose.  Great project, but, as has been pointed out by colleagues abroad, abysmal project management skills.  Then, the latest debacle at BA, where all our armchair IT pundits know what went wrong.  Sure, things go wrong all the time, so the real IT skill was putting things right, hopefully before many even noticed.  Both skill sets, project management and IT systems are skills that we hope to sell abroad.  Along with our banking and financial skills. Mind, mind the latter is a bit difficult given the court cases pending.  If you were in another Country; is there anything at all you might want from us?

Number 6

It is easy to spot the failures Old Goat because they get a lot of publicity. Those things that are good are largely under the radar because they are good. Where the big failure is hides in our inability to stop doing the things that create failure - mainly because we are creatures of habit. Things like still believing in failed political parties who are now run by careerist politicians rather people of talent and conviction. A failure to recognise that financial crime should be properly punished and that tax evasion is not acceptable if people and companies want to live and operate in the UK. Because we would rather believe in an easy life where we just drift on hoping that things will get better by themselves and we end up where we are. If we want things to change then we need to make it happen. The starting point is in how we conduct and live our own lives. The challenge is to get others to agree.
Be seeing you ;-)

Old Goat

Number 6, can't argue with that!  Only trouble is, these days no one, no one at all will notice or listen. Many simply grumble, but don't do anything more.  Perhaps like me, they've found they are just banging their heads against a brick wall.  Yes, it really is nice when you stop!  So. For me, from now on, just let it happen, if it doesn't affect me, I don't want to know.  Just live and let live.

Number 6

Not sure we can just stand back and let it happen without it affecting us ? Our current trajectory is leading to our infrastructure collapsing, the NHS is in dire straights, the tax burden is ever rising and perhaps most worrying of all future generations are going to end up poorer that their parents, with well paying jobs becoming scarcer and scarcer. I can't see that there is a magic wand to make these challenges disappear so it's up to us all to put our shoulders to the wheel and insist on things being done properly (do it once, do it right and no excuses) and value for money. The latter is key as most of our public services are appalling value.
Be seeing you ;-)

Old Goat

Quite agree, but until such time as we have some real and effective leadership nationally and locally, I'm not putting my shoulder to the wheel; I'll just follow our national ethos; look after number one because no one else will.  Shoulder to the wheel might be the right and tried austerity exhortation though. Nonetheless, it smacks of another, which I suspect our politicians still don't get.  Went something like this - Your strength, your resolution, your courage, will bring us victory! 

Number 6

The thing about personal wealth and stability is that Governments have a way of removing it from individuals if they find themselves in deep financial trouble and in need of more money. Things go belly up not when people have nothing but when what they have is removed from them improperly with no redress. From that point of view I think we should watch what is starting to happen in Europe with interest and be sure that it could happen here as well. Shoulders to the wheel would seem a better solution.
Be seeing you ;-)

Number 6

Interesting to see that Richard Benyon showed great common-sense and voted for the Govt. Brexit plan unlike vast swathes of MP's who clearly are unfit for their roles in parliament. With individuals now placing their personal advantage above the good of the country and seeking to subvert democracy and the will of the people as declared in the referendum in any way they can we are now entering very risky times.
Be seeing you ;-)

Old Goat