Author Topic: Is Newbury open for business or busy shutting itself down ?  (Read 3191 times)

Old Goat

• View Profile
Re: Is Newbury open for business or busy shutting itself down ?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 11:37:27 am »
Interesting one this.  Of course, last thing any 'decent' shop wants is even a few old dossers lying about the town.  So, what to do?  Parkway is an excellent example; their security people seem to keep the area clear of all undesirables; including the odd tv company! The new developments inevitably open with a permanent maintenance/security contingent and thus at no extra cost, problem is solved.  The areas which aren't regarded as prime shopping - back end of Bart. Street can push the BID for a warden.  Anyway, it's going to be a minor issue because WBCs recent pronouncements suggests that the issue is overstated and the existing arrangements work well....

Number 6

• Not a Number but not a .....
    • View Profile
Be seeing you ;-)

Old Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 02:14:41 pm »
Contractor - Nothing to do with me, we asked the Council, they said yes, they know the area,
Council - Contractors fulfilled the agreed criteria, so of course we agreed.  It's the Police
Police - Its pretty low on our priority list for a busy Saturday, try the centre managers
Parkway - We've got no authority to do anything outside our building, try town council
Town Council - Dont have wardens now anyway WBC are responsible, see if a traffic warden will help
Parking Wardens - sorry, not permitted to direct traffic - HSE, don't ask me tell your Councillor
Councillor - 2 hours isn't long, why, I waited 3 at IKEA, you should have walked or biked...
Me - thanks, really useful suggestion, can all this stuff on line and have rest of day free.

Newbury; the town time forgot and no one is too keen to remember.....

Number 6

• Not a Number but not a .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 09:46:07 am »
Clearly one major employer agrees Old Goat and is exiting stage left with alacrity. Maybe they know something we don't ?

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/home/26417/sovereign-to-close-its-newbury-head-office.html
Be seeing you ;-)

Old Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 07:07:25 pm »
That they were founded in Newbury and born out of West Berks Council one could be forgiven for thinking that they do know something.  These credentials and the nature of the business mean that in my book this is a shocking indictment of the Council and its capability of actually delivering it's published vision.