• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Does the weather present new opportunities ?

Started by Number 6, January 08, 2014, 12:02:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Number 6

Reading the local news re flooding and peoples desperate attempts to protect their properties this evening I had a Jeremy Clarkson moment and wondered if we could somehow mobilize the fit unemployed to assist in the flood prevention effort filling and deploying sandbags and other barriers ? Surely the opportunity to assist desperate families and individuals struggling to protect their hard earned property and possessions would gladden the hearts of those who would otherwise be idle - purely as a token of their thanks for the benefits they receive from the collective tax take ?    Sadly probably just one of my many idle musings that will never come to pass.  ;) ;D
Be seeing you ;-)

Number 6

Sadly the inclement weather shows no sign of ending and the community is now facing some serious flooding risk even in the major conurbations of West Berkshire. With many vulnerable people in retirement properties and families desperate to protect their homes we may be reaching a point in time when we need to rethink how we resource flood prevention and flooding countermeasures in the locality. All the good work on flood prevention schemes seem to already be inadequate in the face of this unprecedented weather pattern.  I hope the worst does not happen to all those at risk but suspect that without a rapid change in the weather we will as a community be put to the test as many are flooded in their homes.  :(
Be seeing you ;-)