• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Cutbacks - how far do we want them to go ?

Started by Number 6, December 04, 2014, 10:39:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Number 6

In the interests of stimulating some debate that might kick start this forum back to life ......
The Chancellors autumn statement has led to some commentators forecasting that public spending is on a trajectory that will see it reduced to levels not seen since the 1930's .- (but will our taxes reduce accordingly ?). Locally we are continuing to see cutbacks in front line services that affect vulnerable people young and old so at what point does enough become enough and what do we do about it if anything ? Clearly the deficit needs reducing but are we willing to see the quality of life in West Berkshire reduce as well ? As I have got older I have increasingly valued the relative safety and quality of community  here compared to many other places I have visited  and lived in, both home and abroad. Are we as a community willing to see this go and if not what other solutions are there to taxpayer funded services? It seems like these are questions we will soon have to put our collective minds to if the pundits are right and the really painful cuts are still to come - but definitely on their way . What say you?
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/young-people-face-168000-cuts-to-vital-services
Be seeing you ;-)

Old Goat

An interesting point; but in reality what can we do?  There seems to be very little difference between the only two parties active in local politics, so there isn't going to be much change there!  To me, it's a national issue, we've been living beyond our means for years now and must just get used to living on a lower national income.

Number 6

Sad to see 34 views and only one reply. Given that the cuts are coming and the effects will be dramatic I would have thought more would have been interested to comment on the possible negative impacts on West Berkshire and what can be done to lessen the dangers. Perhaps we are doomed to only recognise what we have at present once we have lost it and only then will people regret missing the opportunity to have had an input.  From a close reading of the numbers of government finance big change is inevitable and will impact for decades. It does not matter who is in power the process is inevitable. Time we the electorate took a much more engaging role in shaping the outcomes so that whatever the financial risks West Berkshire will continue to be a good place to live. Surely this is worth debating rather than just lurking on the sidelines ?

Be seeing you.
Be seeing you ;-)

Elizabeth

I am inclined to agree with Old Goat. There is not a lot we can do. The government do not seem to listen to the voice of the people and just go on in their own sweet way.

Don

Whoever wins there will have to be cuts, the question is how do we do it? Labour's way by spending (and saving, as they say) or the Tories way? I prefer the Tories way; get it over quickly. All Labour want to do is prolong it. And don't forget that it was Labour that got us into this mess in the first place.

Number 6

I see that the Government has announced a further cut in the grant to our local council. It will be interesting to see how this translates into cuts in services. I just hope that the old and children are not hit too hard.
Be seeing you ;-)

Elizabeth

It usually is the old folk and children that get hit the hardest. Living expences get higher weekly for all of us but the thing us we have to have heating, food and other essentials. :(

Old Goat

This round of cuts shouldn't come as any great surprise to our local politicians as it's exactly what the Coalition said was going to happen a couple of years back.  Given that, to the uninformed, spending large sums of money refurbishing the derelict control tower at Greenham and the old building in Thatcham wasn't exactly wise.  So, as our local governing politicians are coalition party members and they initiated this local spend, our children and OAPs should be safe from further cuts.......

Yes, I know there is an apparent difference between the unitary and parish councils, but that's not reflected in my single council tax bill.