• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:40:53 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Paywalls on websites

Started by Number 6, August 28, 2019, 05:41:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Number 6

Recently it has become clear that articles on really important topics both nationally and locally are being hidden behind paywalls on our local paper. Some issues may cost us dear in many ways. I wonder if they realise how shameful this is?
Be seeing you ;-)

Old Goat

Not really surprised.  I suspect the day of the local newspaper is over. Although the cover price is now quite high, it still doesn't cover the costs, sales are declining.  Advertising, once the real profit stream has now declined even further - another 'online' casualty.  Once, local papers fed Fleet Street with trained journalists / reporters - but that career route gas also gone.  So it's a perfect storm, I'm not convinced that even the few pence they might get from the pay wall will solve anything. Arguably, it's another symptom demonstrating localism is dead, the centralisers have won.  We'll still pick up the local vibes, social media will do that, but will those who perporting to be local politicians take heed?  Certainly not, and even less than they did in the past. 

Number 6

A prime example of what I was alluding to here. I am sure Richard Benyon had something important to say that he wanted us to hear. Sadly we will never know.

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/28107/newbury-mp-richard-benyon-i-m-trying-to-make-a-decision-on-what-i-think-is-right.html
Be seeing you ;-)

Number 6

I guess we can now measure the person by action rather than words. Well done Richard for sticking to the opinion of the (local) electorate despite what must have been enormous pressure to do otherwise. Protecting the views and wishes of the local electorate is the foundation stone of a MP's democratic function.

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/poll/poll/28114/poll-do-you-agree-with-richard-benyon-voting-for-mps-to-take-control-of-commons.html

Be seeing you ;-)

Old Goat

I'd second that!

Plus, Richard B's website is wholly free.  I can understand the irritation about NWNs paywall, but the same objections to it can also be applied to the print version, which we had to okay for. Back when it first started, NWN was the only source of local news - there was nothing else at all.

Number 6

Be seeing you ;-)

Old Goat

Hard to disagree, it's blatent discrimination.  I've no issue about being made to pay but not on this basis.  Is this a sign that NWN is in desperate straights.  They have to maintain a 'click rate' to justify prices for their declining advertising business.  However, they are clearly missing a trick, because if they didn't discriminate, they'd get some really useful marketing data.

Number 6

Yet another truncated article on a topic of major local and national importance. I suspect that if the local Conservative Association fail to re-select Richard Benyon then they will certainly hand the seat to the Lib Dems at the next election. I would suggest that they think on.

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/28121/west-berkshire-conservative-chair-at-the-end-of-the-day-this-is-up-to-the-members-to-decide.html
Be seeing you ;-)

Old Goat

The way things are going, we won't need an MP, just  Euro District Commissioner.