• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Do you remember when the Newbury Bus Station was in the Wharf?

Started by Administrator, February 16, 2014, 02:47:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Administrator

phuct

Can we get a better placement of this picture?
I'm going to assume that the building on the left is where the library now is and immediately behind the person taking the picture is the museum.

tom1

The library is on the right as you look at the picture. The white walled building behind the double decker is still there for easier bearings.

Administrator

Quote from: phuct on February 20, 2014, 09:19:04 am
Can we get a better placement of this picture?

The car in the picture has just come over Park Way Bridge

Here is a picture of the same scene taken from bridge:

The rooftop to the right of the telephone exchange is the rear of the old Plaza building.

BrianB

The Newbury Bus station has occupied many sites in Newbury in my lifetime.

My earliest recollection was in the fifties and sixties  when it occupied the area in front of the granary as shown in the pictures above. The bus companies used offices located in the Granary building itself.

As part of the first phase of the Kennet Shopping centre it moved to the corner of Market Street and Bartholomew Street - Where the Kennet Centre multi-storey car park is today (Will post pictures of this).

When Sainsbury's was extended it moved back to the Wharf but this time it was adjacent to the canal by the Stone Building.

It then moved to its current location after Newbury's original multi-storey car park was demolished

Perhaps someone can remind us of the dates that these events took place.