• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Confusion in the paper shop this morning with Newbury Weekly News

Started by BrianB, December 11, 2014, 11:17:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianB

Confusion in the paper shop this morning with Newbury Weekly News

There was confusion in my paper shop this morning with people trying to purchase their local newspaper. The shop assistant was being asked if they had a properly printed edition not realising that for the festive season the NWN is wrapped in something akin to tracing paper.

Obviously a clever marketing executive decided that this was the best way to advertise their 3D Christmas Santa.

I was not impressed.

Don

You might not have been impressed, but talking to people who did buy it, a lot were. Which proves the point that you can't please everybody all of the time. For me; I thought it was interesting and different. As for those that were confused, it might be worth looking closer at their mind's stability or not. Just a thought ;)

As Henry Miller said: "Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not understood."

Old Goat

I suppose we ought to be thankful that we still have a genuine local paper.  Lots of towns seem to be loosing theirs; often blamed on the BBC local news reports each day.  I'm not sure that's really the case because it's so dire!  At least NWN are trying.

Don

Quote from: Old Goat on December 15, 2014, 07:25:50 pm
I suppose we ought to be thankful that we still have a genuine local paper.  Lots of towns seem to be loosing theirs; often blamed on the BBC local news reports each day.  I'm not sure that's really the case because it's so dire!  At least NWN are trying.

Yes, very trying. I see the Newbury Weekly News only objective is to make money, not serve the people of Newbury. I think they should have more of the voice of the people, which would mean a bigger letter page.

Old Goat

True, but they are simply a commercial organisation so chasing the money is what it's all about.  Nonetheless, some successful local papers actually rely on readers letters to pull in the readers, as does a bit of punchy reporting. However, that might mean upsetting the status quo and Newbury is quite subservient.

Don

Quote from: Old Goat on December 16, 2014, 08:51:29 pm
True, but they are simply a commercial organisation so chasing the money is what it's all about.  Nonetheless, some successful local papers actually rely on readers letters to pull in the readers, as does a bit of punchy reporting. However, that might mean upsetting the status quo and Newbury is quite subservient.

Quite. But I doubt that NWN care about giving us a service, just selling their paper.