• Welcome to Newbury Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Newbury local elections - You should have voted for the person not the party

Started by BrianB, May 09, 2015, 01:02:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianB

Newbury local elections - You should have voted for the person not the party

It is such a shame that the election of local councillors was decided on the same day as the national election. People voted with a party political hat on unaware of the fact that they were removing hard working councillors who had worked tirelessly for many years. I am afraid that the rout will continue today when the result for the Town Council is declared.

Number 6

I think the real shame is the lack of younger people prepared to engage in local politics under any banner. That so many baby boomers control the local levers of power to the exclusion of a younger generation that effectively only has a voice on Newburys future if and when the old guard can be bothered to listen is very sad. Much as I don't understand a lot of the internet generations ways of doing things and seeing the world
(Yes showing my age again !) I think their voice in deciding what is their future is crucial. That so few see politics at a local level as important is disappointing. Maybe each pasrish and a number of district council seats should be for under 30' s only ?  I would recommend to the local Conservatives that they find a way of including the voice of the young in their decision making at every political  level. It may help give balance to the decision making process in the abscence of any proper opposition ?
Be seeing you ;-)

Old Goat

Actually, if people did vote for Councillors along party lines they only have themselves to blame.  It's these very councillors who have traditionally rejected out of hand any suggestion that there should be and there is no need for political affiliation in local Government.  I'm also far from convinced those 'who work tirelessly year after year' should simply get a free pass.  The state of our local councils, the town in particular, suggests some have indeed been working, perhaps tirelessly, for a long time, but to no real effect.  Yes, time for a change and yes, we really do need to see some young blood. 

Number 6

Just about to watch the results of the Eurvision song contest having subjected myself to the entire programme ! Now no doubt it will be a perfect model of how voting should work ?  :) At my age I really should try and preserve the little grey cells !
P.S. for some strange reason Iiked Belgiums entry best. Any other opinions ?
Be seeing you. 6.
Be seeing you ;-)