Author Topic: Has this forum officially died?  (Read 7956 times)

Tommy Atkins

• View Profile
Has this forum officially died?
« on: November 14, 2014, 01:30:00 pm »
?

BrianB

• View Profile
Re: Has this forum officially died?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 04:04:28 pm »
Times have changed Tommy. In 2004 when this forum first started, it was a hive of activity and many important local topics (like the sale of Park Way car parks for £1.00) were discussed at length. Over the years different formats for discussion have evolved (Facebook and Twitter predominantly). Also the methods of accessing the web have moved on, we now have ipads and smartphones which enable you to join in with simple conversations wherever you are.

Constructive debate seems to be a thing of the past, the old fashioned chatroom has made a comeback.

The photographs which used to be exclusive to this website have now been harvested and reproduced on so many websites that I have lost count. I don't mind to a certain extent, but it would be nice if only they would give the appropriate credit and a link back to this site.

I no longer have the time to keep the news section up to date, which in recent months has only stimulated small scale debate anyway.

Perhaps other members of the forum have their own views, in which case please join in. I will keep the forum running at least until the end of the year and then evaluate it's future.

BrianB

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 11:00:36 pm »
Maybe it's because this is one of the last places that you can come to and comment without your personal details,attitudes and viewing habits being harvested and sold for advertising purposes !  The internet is rapidly becoming a different and some would say dysfunctional place to opinion-ate through with trolls and sheer bad manners dominating much of the discourse that takes place. Brian's   policing of standards in this place obviously does not appeal to the modern majority. For the old fashioned like me however its a quality that will be greatly missed if the forum closes.

john1949red

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 02:04:37 pm »
Fully agree with Number 6, this site will be missed by many I am sure

Old Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:29:15 pm »
I'd certainly agree with what's being said.  Very sad, but it seems to be the way of the World; play to lowest denominator.  Brian is to be applauded for keeping this one going for so long.

Elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 04:53:24 pm »
I also agree. It will be a sad day if Brian has to close this Forum.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 04:08:41 pm »
Newbury Weekly News forum did a lot of damage to this forum. What they created though was the same posters writing the same drivel week in and week out, to a point where most of the good ones left. I've even noticed that the owners of their own forum have deserted it and left it to the lunatics.

As for this forum dying; no and the proof of that is that people are writing on  it, like myself ;)

What this forum needs is advertisement so a wider group of people can hear about it.

Old Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 05:40:57 pm »
Well Don, that's actually pretty positive in a strange way. Let's hope we see some more activity.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 05:47:51 pm »
I am sure the admin on your will also agree with that.

Old Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 04:55:30 pm »
I suppose there was a rally round Christmas, but it didn't last.  Odd really, particularly as there is an interesting election in the offing.  Is it apathy or that forums are yesterday's technology or simply that people feel that there is no point? 

only me

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 09:36:13 pm »
The various Newbury Facebook pages (I think there are a couple of them) are apparently fairly busy, but it's a far different set up from a forum.  Places like this are for discussion and sometimes lengthy debate on a variety of topics.

Facebook appeals to the younger set and they seem to shy away from lengthy discussion on any subject. It's as if they can't concentrate for more than 100 characters after which point their eyes glaze over and they drift off half way thr...........     

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 04:23:19 pm »
The various Newbury Facebook pages (I think there are a couple of them) are apparently fairly busy, but it's a far different set up from a forum.  Places like this are for discussion and sometimes lengthy debate on a variety of topics.

Facebook appeals to the younger set and they seem to shy away from lengthy discussion on any subject. It's as if they can't concentrate for more than 100 characters after which point their eyes glaze over and they drift off half way thr     
I'll go along with that. Message boards create a better environment for a debate. With Twitter being popular, because of the few characters it allows, it is better for the dim-witted and those that don't have a lot to say.

86 Baily

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 10:01:57 pm »
I am new here. have you ever thought about putting ads on facebook or use twitter to get new member?
86 Baily Elegant Designs
Interior Design in Newbury
http://www.86baily.com