Author Topic: The Forum Cinema - Park Way Newbury  (Read 11780 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Forum Cinema - Park Way Newbury
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:46:09 am »
The Forum Cinema - Park Way Newbury

This photograph ought to bring back a few memories. This picture was taken before the balcony was converted to a bingo lounge.

The film showing dates the picture to 1964:

"Crooks in Cloisters is a 1964 British comedy which features Ronald Fraser as 'Little Walter', the leader of a gang of forgers, including Bernard Cribbins as 'Squirts', Melvyn Hayes as 'Willy', Grégoire Aslan as 'Lorenzo', and Davy Kaye as 'Specs'."

The building is currently home to a health and fitness club.

DISCLAIMER – All of the materials and data offered on this site are for informational and educational purposes only. All images and other media are assumed to be in the public domain. In the event that there is a problem or error with copyrighted material, the break of the copyright is unintentional and non commercial and the material will be removed immediately upon request.

Archie

• View Profile
Re: The Forum Cinema - Park Way Newbury
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 11:50:38 am »
I thought that the balcony became the cinema and downstairs was converted to the bingo lounge.

Elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:48:46 pm »
Certainly a lot of memories come back looking at this picture.  I remember well the cafe opposite where we always used to go for a quick meal before going to catch the bus home again. :)

tom1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 05:10:54 pm »
Ah yes the cafe run by Neville Morris with the Flamingo coffee bar next door.

radstockjeff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 07:03:48 pm »
Can anyone please identify the Architect and the Builder of this cinema and the approximate date it was built?

Thanks

radstockjeff

Rupertroad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 01:20:47 pm »
Fond memories of Saturday morning pictures at the ABC, late 60s early 70s...altogether now:

We are the boys and girls well known as
Minors of the ABC
And every Saturday all line up
To see the films we love and shout aloud with glee

We like to laugh and have a sing-song
Just a happy crowd are we
We're all pals together
We're minors of the ABC

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 03:59:47 pm »
The following entry is taken from "Memories of Newbury". A book published in 1999 ISBN 1 900463 79 2 (copies are still available on EBay.)

"The forum opened on 6th November 1930, with seating for over a thousand, including a number of seats equipped with earphones for the deaf, and declared its intention 'to take account of local tastes in choosing features' - and it started off well, showing Trouble Brewing with George Formby in the first week....It was refurbished in 1972 by the ABC cinema group who tried to make a go of it as a smaller 480 seat cinema with a bingo hall downstairs.
Towards the end of the 80's the bingo hall closed and the Canon chain took the cinema over, but it was becoming clear that its days were numbered. Having survived for almost 68 years, and outlasted all Newbury's other cinemas, on Sunday 1st November 1998 it finally closed its doors."

Additional Note:

The book appears to be inaccurate because "Trouble Brewing with George Formby" was not released until 1939.

BrianB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 07:32:16 pm »
My research indicated that it opened in 1939. I intended to go to the library to trawl through the 1939 copies of the Newbury Weekly News. It would appear there is a good possibility that it would be the edition covering 6th November 1939. I would imagine that the person who typed up the original story for the book hit the "0" instead of the "9".

Apparently it was built by an outside company (not a local builder). The construction did provide a lot of jobs for local labour. There must be one or two retired Newbury tradesmen who remember the original construction company.

My memory is not as good as it was, but I seem to remember that various plans were put forward in the late nineties for a multiplex cinema on this site. Unfortunately the idea was quashed or should I say not encouraged by the then fledgling West Berkshire Council who I believe own the head lease on the site.